Wednesday 21 March 2007

TOP TIPS

PHOTO: The sun is a great bleaching agent.

WHAT TO DO WITH MILDEW
Ian.

I have some mildew on a couple of shirts that have been in a damp cupboard. How can I get rid of it?
Reply.
The easiest way would be to soak the affected area in lemon juice. Put the garments onto the washing line and let the sun kill off the bacteria. The lemon and sunshine are great bleaching agents as well.

READERS TOP VINEGAR TIPS
Ian I have read your tips for vinegar use. I thought you would be interested in a few things that I do with this wonderful liquid. Mavis B. Carn.


I splash vinegar on my varicose veins. The vinegar reduces the veins and relieves the pain and swelling. Of course, you smell like a tossed salad!

I use about a tablespoon of vinegar in the water when poaching eggs. It helps the eggs to keep their shape. No taste of vinegar either.

My best use for vinegar is to use 1-tablespoon vinegar to an 8-ounce glass of warm water for a sore throat. Gargle every hour and swallow after gargling, with two mouthfuls. I got this from a Vermont Folk Medicine book by D.C.Jarvis many years ago. If started at the first hint of a sore throat, it always works, usually with a night's sleep. I don't mind the taste, but some children might.

It is also helpful when children get lice, if you take warm vinegar and put it on the hair also take your nit comb and dip it in the vinegar. As you run it through the hair it helps remove the nits. It is supposed to be able to help break down the glue the nits use to stay attached to the hair.

Thanks for those ideas Mavis!

FRIUT FLIES BEWARE

As we are talking about vinegar, try this remedy to get rid of fruit flies in the house.

Ian:

My mother has been using apple cider vinegar to get rid of fruit flies for years! You take a small bowl and fill it part way with vinegar, than wrap it in cling film. Poke a few pinholes in the plastic wrap, and the fruit flies will fly in, but can't fly out, so they drown in the vinegar! Place the bowl wherever you are seeing the fruit flies (like near the compost bucket in the kitchen or the fruit bowl). J.B. Newtoncunningham


Environmental.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails