Wednesday 21 March 2007

THE BEST OF LIFE

I always enjoy reading the “Time for Reflection” article in the Inish Times. I’ve been reflecting myself this week as the flowers around me start to bloom and I thought I’d share a segment of a book called “the Gardener” – a number one Spanish bestseller by Grian (don’t worry its been translated). The usual ramblings will be back as usual next week.


THE BEST OF LIFE

A trader went to see the gardener while he was resting at the hut door.

“Good afternoon, gardener,” he said, “I’ve come to offer you a business deal that’s going to interest you for sure.”

And seeing the passiveness of the gardener, he began to tell him about an arrangement he had thought of that could be advantageous to both of them, an arrangement in which the gardener would promise to cultivate a large expanse of land exclusively of roses so that, later, the trader could sell them in the town’s market.

“Gardener, with your green fingers our roses will be the best in town,” concluded the trader with a satisfied gesture.

“Thanks, but I’m not interested,” said the gardener with his usual smile.

“But you could earn a lot of money…” claimed the merchant surprised.

“I’m not interested in money.”

“But everybody is interested in money...”

“Not me.”

“How can you say that? Money is necessary to survive..”

“Oh, well…! I eat and sleep every day, I have clothes to wear and a hut that gives me refuge on winter nights,” said the gardener calmly.

The trader could not believe that the gardener had rejected his offer.

“And also…” he insisted, “you would be doing the work you like, gardener.”

“I already do the work I like.”

“But….”

The trader was left with his mouth open. Then he closed it, stood up and left the garden, saying between his teeth as he left, “I’ll never understand those who stubbornly insist on living in poverty and missing out on the best in life.”

The gardener spent the afternoon listening to the musical sounds of the birds and contemplating the wonderful sunset that the universe offered.

From “the Gardener” by Grian.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails