Thursday 22 March 2007

FLY IN THE OINTMENT


Photo: Call in the experts if there is a fly in the soup.
Ian
I read with horror the comments made about animal derivatives in seemingly vegetarian products such as the humble chip. Being a vegetarian myself I too have a story to tell of a distinct lack of knowledge when it comes to the needs of non-meat eaters. Twice when I have been to restaurants I have unknowingly been given meat even though I ordered vegetarian dishes. The first instance was when a restaurant served me their “Vegetable soup” I asked prior to ordering if it was vegetarian and the staff said yes. After tasting the dish I felt that something wasn’t right, as it seemed really meat like. I asked to see the chef who told me that the soup was vegetarian because it had vegetables in it and no solid meat. After I found a piece of meat in my mouth I managed to get the chef to admit that the stock was made from chicken. A second experience was at a different place where I ordered a salad (checking as I usually do that it was vegetarian). I was greeted with a salad that was generously sprinkled with little pink shrimps. When I complained I was told that the staff thought that seafood is vegetarian! I suppose chicken is too…..

I now only try to eat in vegetarian restaurants because of meat contamination in the meals and am very specific in asking for ingredients in dishes. A majority of conventional eateries not only seem to be very complacent and untrained to cater for the non meat eaters in society but also are under the impression that we will only eat bland, overcooked stews that are full of red and green peppers and pasta. Vegetarians have taste buds like everyone else and do like their food to be tasty and nutritious. Yours CB Derry

Reply
Most eating places are now catering a lot better for vegetarians. The range of food seems to be improving as more and more people are asking for alternatives to the meat and two veg dishes. With people such as yourself pointing out the shortcomings in restaurants it will only improve the choice even more. Do not give up, get back out there and let your voice be heard!

Environmental.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails