Tuesday 18 December 2007

ME AND MY MOTOR-JOHNNY MULREANY









Name: Johnny Mulreany
Address: Bundoran
Car: 1961 Vauxhall VX 490 1.508 cc

Johnny is a long time member of the Donegal Vintage and Classic Car Club. The club has been active since 1990 and has built up a regular membership of over 100 fans of classic cars, tractors, vans, small trucks, motorbikes and static engines. All of the events throughout the year are very family orientated and a great venue for social chatting. If you would like to know when the next event is, give Eunan Kelly a ring on 087 2366924

How long have you had the car?
I bought the car about four years ago and have nurtured the car since then.

What got you interested in old cars?
Like most people who spent half their lives with old cars, I grew up with a passion for them. I am also a mechanic by trade so that helps too.


Has the car won any competitions?
Yes it has and I think one of the reasons is that the car is in its original condition. That answers your next question as well about whether I restored it myself!


Is it reliable?
Yes it is and if things do go wrong it takes no time at all to fix them. Vauxhalls have plenty of room under the bonnets to work on the engines. Try looking into the engine bay of a Viva; you could have a party in there.


Best thing about the car?
It is very powerful and surprises other drivers when I leave the traffic lights. It is also lovely to drive as it has upgrades such as the bench seats and a floor change gear lever


How often do you wash it?
Very often. In summer I tend to go out once a week to shows around the country and it always gets a wash then.


If you were the Minister for Finance what would you do to help motorists?
I would cut the tax on petrol.


What would you really like to be driving around in?

I have a favourite car that I would like to be driving around in. A Ford Mk 2 Consul.


No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails