Tuesday 27 November 2007

ME AND MY MOTOR-DONAL MCKINNEY





The old garage has now been demolished





IT’S BUSINESS AS USUAL AT PIT STOP TYRE CENTRE IN BUNCRANA

The original building where Donal McKinney runs Pit Stop Tyre Cenre in Buncrana has recently disappeared but it’s still business as usual for the highly successful company. Donal started Pit Stop Tyre Centre on Ferris lane in Buncrana, just off of the main street nearly ten years ago and the time has come for a new purpose built workshop to be erected in its place. The new state of the art building will be here soon! You can still contact them on the usual number (074) 93 61386

Donal is driving a 2004 Fiat Doblo 1.9 diesel van


Why did you choose an Italian van?
I have always had a passion for Italian cars. My brother and I used to work on my father’s Fiat 127. We reconditioned replacement engines to be on standby for when the one in the car packed up. We could replace the engine in no time. It made me very familiar with Italian engineering. Since then I have owned a Lancia Delta, a Fiat Punto and Alfa Romeos.

How long have you had the van?
I bought it new four years ago. It replaced an old transit van and the Fiat’s small size makes it very handy for running around the towns. I have a larger pick up truck for the bigger jobs but most breakdowns that I deal with are either tyres or batteries and the van is perfect for dealing with these types of problems.

Is it reliable?
Yes. Italian cars can have a bit of a reputation for being temperamental but I have had no problems with the Doblo. It has a great driving position too.

How often do you wash it?
Nearly every day! In the quieter moments the young lads who work with me take it to the pressure washing facilities that we have. I think the lads enjoy it as well because it gives them an excuse to do a bit of driving.

Are there any modifications?
The car has alloy wheels, that’s about it. The performance and style are sporty enough.

What would you really like to be driving around in?
It has to be Italian. The new Alfa Brera would do nicely.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails