Saturday 8 December 2007

JUST SAY YES!


A year or two ago there was a movement started on the Internet called “Join Me”. It consisted of members of the general public doing random acts of kindness to others. It culminated in the book of the same name. Some of the ideas were very simple and no doubt improved people moods. Smile at people was a good one. Other ideas were things like pat a dog, swap places with the person behind you in a queue and pop a sugar cube next to an ant’s nest. The idea was very popular and moderately simple to implement. The author, Danny Wallace is now ready to release another book called “Yes Man”. The story tells of his exploits when he decided to say yes to everything that people suggested to him. It cost him an absolute fortune as he was buying everything that was offered. And it also lost him friends. It sounded like an interesting idea (not the loosing friends bit of course) so I tried it myself. I realised that Danny must not have children to keep up such a project. After about ten minutes of my lads running rings around me I introduced the all too familiar word NO back into my vocabulary. I have since taken up a new interest that is keeping me happy at the moment. Complaining! Not to people in supermarket queues about the weather or the state of the nation. This is real complaining aimed directly at large multinational firms about poor customer services and below standard workmanship. It feels great to not take these issues on board. If you have a problem like this, pass it on, it feels great (P.S If any companies would like a mystery shopper –I’m your man!)



No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails