Saturday 7 February 2009

5 MINUTES WITH - CLARE BARR


Clare Barr from Buncrana is an enthusiastic Pilates Instructor. Fourteen years ago, Clare did a Health and Fitness course in Dublin and began to teach aerobics. Seven years later, she discovered Pilates, and found it a brilliant and beneficial exercise.

Pilates works on many levels, improving breathing and posture, strengthening core muscles and keeping the body balanced. When you are born the body is straight and aligned but as the years go by the body’s posture changes because of injuries and general use. Pilates is a simple way of exercising and you don’t realise that you are getting so many benefits from the classes. Clare feels very lucky that Buncrana has two leisure centres and a health centre with a wide selection of classes available. She also feels with all the wonderful walks and beautiful hills to climb all over Inishowen, as well as the other facilities available, we have no excuse for not getting out there and doing some form of exercise. Clare is running courses in both Buncrana and Carndonagh regularly and if you want to find out more you can call her on 074 9362723



What music are you listening to at the moment?
I listen to anything from Abba to ZZ Top. As long as it’s good….

What book are you reading?
I devour books and make great use of the local library in Buncrana. I read between 4 and 5 books a month. I have just finished ‘The Brass Verdict’ by Michael Connelly and have stared ‘The Bodies Left Behind’ by Jeffery Deaver.

What was your favourite childhood game?
My childhood memories were of us always being outside playing form morning until night. The weather was never an issue. I enjoyed it all but the best had to be when we went to the beach in the summer catching shrimps at the springboard on the shorefront and building sandcastles in the Ladies Bay.

Have you been to the cinema recently, what did you see and was it any good?
Going to the cinema is a favourite midweek treat for me. The last film I saw was Australia. I thought it was fantastic. It’s a very uplifting film with Nicole Kidman as strong as ever.

What section of the newspaper do you turn to first?
I always read the front page first – start at the beginning, as they say.

What would you never throw away?
Photographs of my family.

Most embarrassing moment of your life?
I had never tried Karaoke before, but one evening while on holiday in Tenerife (after a little Dutch courage) I started singing a Tina Turner song, helped by my 8 year old daughter. It was a disaster and the more we sang, the worse we got…

Favourite TV programme?
I am a huge fan of Inspector Morse, 24, A Touch of Frost and most thrillers. I love listening to the music channels whilst doing the housework.

What job did you want to do when you were a child?
A ballet dancer for a while and then a member of Pans People (the dancers on Top of the Pops)!

Where was your best holiday and what made it special?
Our family holiday in Disney World, a few years ago now. Seeing the expressions on the faces of my children, Sean, Michael and Kate, when they encountered the world of getting their picture taken with Mickey and Minnie mouse. Or was it driving through California in a big white Cadillac?

What do you do for a special treat?
Get dressed up (love that) go to the Beach House on the pier in Buncrana or The Tavern for a meal and finish the night in the Drift Inn listening to the Mystery Shoppers or enjoying (listening to) the Karaoke… I definitely won’t be singing….

Favourite animal?
We have always had dogs in our family since I was a child. I love them. I think it’s healthy for children to get used to dogs – caring for them and feeding them.

Biggest thrill?
It has to be the birth of my children. Sean, Michael and Kate. My grandchildren Brionan, James and wee baby Belle. Also having my wonderful husband Brian and my lovely daughter-in-law Hilary. As you get older you realise how important your family is.

Biggest Challenge?
About 5 years ago I had severe arthritis in my hip and I needed a replacement operation. My hip had originally been dislocated when I was born. At the time I thought I would never be able to exercise again – never mind teach. I really thought I would have to change career again and give up something that I loved. But the operation was a complete success and less than five months after the operation I was teaching again.

What was the best present you ever got?
On the morning of my 50th birthday I was whisked off to Nice for a surprise holiday. It was kept secret right until the last minute.

What was the last thing you bought just for yourself?
A dress for €15 euro in the sale in Jay Bee’s of Carndonagh – I love a bargain!

What charities do you support?
The St Vincent de Paul and Concern.

Favourite past-time?
Exercising, walking, reading and dancing.

What do you have for breakfast?
Fresh fruit, tea and brown bread with marmalade.

What was your first paid job?
Working for my father in the Plaza Ballroom in Buncrana. My sisters and I always had to work from an early age and it didn’t do us any harm at all even though we might not have liked it much at the time.

Best/worst household chore?
The best would be cooking and the worst would be cleaning windows.

What is the best piece of advice you have been given?
Live each day to the full.

Personal philosophy?
Treat others as you would like to be treated.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails