Wednesday 4 April 2007

WISTERIA NOT FLOWERING

Hello Ian
I have a wisteria climber that I put by the side of my house five years ago. It hasn’t flowered yet and a friend of mine said that I need a male and female plant to produce the blooms, is this correct? KA Letterkenny

Ian Says
I haven’t heard about the male /female thing before (If anyone has please let me know). I think one of the main reasons is that the Wisterias don’t usually flower for the first seven years anyway as they are building up their strength. The plants are also usually put against a wall and the soil can be a bit lacking in nutrients. Build the soil up with mulch and add some potash and peat if the soil is light and sandy. The plants are generally grafted if you bought it from a garden centre so check that the graft is nice and clean. This entails checking near the base of the plant where the stem has been joined to a vigorous rootstock, much the same as a rose bush. If it’s rough or damaged, the climber might never flower. Prune the plant back as well, next month cut the current seasons growth back to about 30cm to let light into the wood. This will encourage bud formation. In February you can cut the stems back to about 5cm to encourage strong shoots.


Horticultural.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails