Sunday 25 March 2007

POLISHING SILVER


We have a cutlery drawer in our house, much the same as everyone else. Ours has a hidden terror. Silver plated knives forks and spoons! We inherited these implements a few years ago and although the rest of the family don’t mind them, I find just the thought of them sets my teeth on edge. If I accidentally pick one out to use it quickly gets thrown back in to the shadows. If we have visitors around for a meal I have to choose my place carefully so I don’t sit anywhere that has been allocated any of the offending objects, I’ll go for the stainless steel ones every time. I might sound a BIT neurotic but I think there is a good reason for my allergic reaction. Over the years I have had to sit in the dentists chair many times, as my teeth aren’t the strongest things in the world, and most of the teeth have been packed full with amalgam, that silver coloured filler that is used. (Any more and I’m sure they wouldn’t be classified as teeth). Consequently when I put the silver plated cutlery in my mouth there is a genuine chemical reaction. (If you have fillings you can get the same effect if you chew on silver foil, but I wouldn’t recommend it!) I’ve tried in vain to get the children to lose them down the back of the settee, but they keep coming back to the drawer. Until Nintendo come out with a computer game where you have to bury silver objects in the garden so my lads can copy the idea, the knives, forks and spoons are staying with us.

With the cutlery there came a small tub of silver polish cream, I tried using it to put a shine on a spoon and although it worked well it also took ten layers of skin off my fingers. I decided to look into what was in it.

POLISING THE FAMILY TREASURES

Most metal polishes contain strong acids such as phosphoric acid and also caustics such as ammonia. The most powerful ones though contain sulphuric acid and hydrofluoric acid. Hydrofluoric acid is also found in rust removers and aluminium polish and this acid could eat right through to the bone. It’s no wonder my hands were sore after using the stuff; I should have been more sensible and used gloves!

Metal polishers are acid because acid dissolves tarnish. Some of these cleaners are so caustic though that they can do more damage. Harsh cleaners can dissolve lacquers that are commonly used on brassware and burn off metal plating. The dips that you can put things into can be the most damaging by leaving permanent stains as cleaned objects dry.

ALTERNATIVES

Lemon juice, vinegar and salt make good metal cleaners. Chloride such as salt or washing soda could damage delicate metals so don’t use them on treasured family heirlooms or things of value; you might want to get these professionally cleaned. (That’s the disclaimer out of the way so lets look at a few other ideas.)
aluminium,polishing,
MAKE YOUR OWN SILVER DIP

You can make your own silver dip by putting a plate- sized piece of aluminium foil in a saucepan with water and a handful of washing soda. Heat this and put the silver in the pan for a minute or two until the tarnish and stains are removed. Don’t leave the silver in for a long time as it will dissolve it and don’t put anything in that is just silver plated Silver plated things should only be polished when absolutely necessary. Try using a special silver polishing cloth and remember to wear gloves!

Some of the finest pieces of silver have a bit of tarnish in the crevices. This can add to the appearance of a piece and some experts in the trade think that it adds to the character and price of an item as well. So try not to over -polish your silver.


Household.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails