Tuesday 30 September 2008

5 MINUTES WITH - AILEEN


Aileen lives in Magherinture, Buncrana with husband Frank and son Garbhan, who is a trainee electrician. She has been running her highly successful dog grooming company for 6 years after making the decision to leave work and follow her love of animals. Her hard work and determination has paid dividends as she is now fully qualified in the fine art of animal care. Aileen’s Dog Grooming is going leaps and bounds as people from all over the peninsula take their pets in for a shampoo, a brush, a haircut, or to get their nails clipped. If your dog needs some grooming, then you can contact Aileen on (074) 9363873

What music do you like?
I move around a lot in the daytime, so I tend to listen to the radio a lot. I enjoy Highland in the morning but tend to turn over to RTE 1in the afternoon and listen to the Joe Duffy show. It’s always good for uncovering controversies and scandals.

What would you never throw away?
I hoard clothes. I even have them from when I was in my 20’s. I keep thinking I will fit back into them one day.

What book are you reading?
I tend to read more books in winter. I have been three months trying to get through a book called “Cesar's Way: The Natural, Everyday Guide to Understanding and Correcting Common Dog Problems” written by Cesar Millan, who is well known for his National Geographic channel called the Dog Whisperer. The book is a great training program for dog owners.

What was your favourite childhood game?
Rounders. I used to play a lot in Marian Park in Buncrana. The green had four concrete squares set in the ground, which made ideal bases for the game.

Have you been to the cinema recently, what did you see and was it any good?
I was at the cinema about six months ago and for the life of me I can’t remember what I went to see. It obviously wasn’t very good…

What section of the newspaper do you turn to first?
I usually read from the back. I start off at the classified pet section to see what dogs are for sale.

What is your idea of a good night out?
Going for a nice meal and a drink with friends. I love trying new places, the last one was Primavera, the new Italian restaurant in Buncrana.

Have you a favourite TV programme?
Desperate Housewives and Prison Break. There will be a new series of Desperate Housewives out in the winter. It’s so easy to get hooked in.

How do you relax?
I go swimming every morning and enjoy walking the dogs. I have three, Harvey, a Golden Retriever and Gizmo and Chloe who are Lhasa apso’s. I also exercise my horse Merlin whenever I get a free minute.

What job did you want to do when you were a child?
I wanted to be a vet. I loved animals. I remember keeping stray dogs and cats in a makeshift “house” made in a neighbours plot of land, unbeknown to my mother. I would get up early and take the stray cats for a walk in my coat hood.

Where would you like to go for your holidays?
Back to Kenya. I went on safari there a few years ago and went to the National Parks to see the big cats. I would like to see the gorillas in Uganda too.

Your idea of heaven?
Lying on a beach.

Have you ever been asked to groom something unusual?
I got a phone call form a man who wanted me to groom his miniature horse once. I am still not sure if it was a hoax or not… he never rang back.

Favourite animals?
My ultimate favourite has to be dogs, then horses, then cats.

What couldn’t you live without?
My dogs. They give me so much pleasure, especially Chloe (pictured) she is the Queen of the household.

Biggest fear?
Spiders. When I was young a friend and I were in a shed and one crawled up my friends leg. She screamed and flicked it off and I still don’t know where it landed. I had the biggest panic attack….

Biggest thrills?
I love seeing the transformation of a dog before and after grooming. Especially untidy dogs like Rough Collies. They love it too and often do a dance afterwards. Getting the horse onto the beach is another great thrill.

What is your idea of a good night in?
A good film a bottle of wine, with a pizza. It’s a luxury I save for the weekend.

Do you have a hobby?
My job is my hobby and I love what I do. But to get away from everything, I go horse riding.

Biggest disappointment?
I used to ask Santa for a pony every year and was always disappointed to see he hadn’t put one underneath the stairs for me.

Which period in history would you most like to have lived through?
The Wild West in America, just for the horse riding.

World’s most useful invention?
The mobile phone. I would still prefer to live without it but they become so much a part of life.

What do you have for breakfast?
Grapefruit, cereal and fruit.

What is the best piece of advice you have been given?
It was a big step for me to leave work and follow my interest in dog grooming. A few friends told me to go for it…..

Personal philosophy?
Follow your heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

She is gorgeous!! You have got a wonderful pet.

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails