Saturday 9 August 2008

WISDOM OF THE WORLD - WEEK 27


This beautiful poem is an invocation of the day and is thought to have been inscribed on St Patrick’s Breastplate. It is from the 8th century.

The Deer’s Cry

I arise today through the strength of Heaven,
Light of sun, radiance of moon,
Splendour of fire, speed of lightening
Swiftness of wind, depth of the sea,
Stability of earth, firmness of rock.

I arise today through God’s strength to pilot me
God’s eye to look before me.
God’s wisdom to guide me,
God’s way to lie before me,
God’s shield to protect me,
From all who shall wish me ill,
Afar and a-near, alone and in a multitude,
Against every cruel, merciless power,
That may oppose my body and soul.

Christ with me, Christ before me
Christ behind me, Christ in me
Christ beneath me, Christ above me
Christ on my right, Christ on my left
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down
Christ when I arise, Christ to shield me
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me
Christ on the tongue of everyone who speaks of me.I arise today.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails