Monday 25 February 2008

5 MINUTES WITH - DEIRDRE BRADLEY


Deirdre Bradley is the new Exhibition manager for North West Exhibitions Ltd based in Buncrana. Until recently you would have seen her in the tourist office in the town where she worked for the Chamber of Commerce. Deirdre worked there for four years and absolutely loved the position, especially the contact with local business people and community groups in the area. Whilst working for the Chamber of Commerce Deirdre set up gala dinners, fashion shows, award ceremonies and trade shows. This gave her the confidence to accept her new role as exhibition manager and to enjoy the challenges that the new position brings. In the two weeks since joining the company, Deirdre has been busy organising the Ideal Homes Exhibition that will be taking place in Coshquin on the Derry /Donegal border at the end of May. There will be 116 stands in the 27,000 square foot building, for showcasing products and services supplied by businesses all over Ireland.


What sort of music do you listen to?

I like all styles. It isn’t very often that I buy any music though; I usually listen to local radio stations. Either the ICR or Highland. You get music and also the local chat too.

What would you never throw away?
I can’t throw away greetings cards! I keep all of them, get well, good luck, and birthdays. I put them all into a big box. I even have the baby cards for when my four children were born!

How do you relax?
I like nothing more than a glass (or bottle!) of red wine to share with good company – friends and family.

What book are you reading?
I don’t have much time for sitting and reading books. I am looking through an awful lot of interior and homes magazines though. I am picking out names and company contacts for the run up to the big show this year.

What page of the newspaper do you turn to first?
It seems a bit strange now that I have my new job, but it is the employment section. It’s just a habit I suppose! I also have a habit of reading the paper from the back to the front.

What is your idea of a good night out?
An evening out with friends is perfect. Organising the evening can sometimes prove to be difficult though as we are all so busy. We were out in the new Sunrise restaurant in Buncrana on Saturday. This has been the first week we have all been free since November of last year!

Have you a favourite television programme?
I always watch Desperate Housewives. I think it is good fantasy fun and so detached from any lifestyle we are accustomed to.

What job did you want to do when you were a child?
I always wanted to become a mummy! It seems strange to think about it now, but whenever the travelling community came into Carndonagh I would wish that they would leave a baby at the bottom of my road so I could take it home and look after it. I suppose it was always inevitable that I would have children, and I have four. Later on though in my adult life I wanted to get into event management, so I am now in my dream job.

Where would you like to go on your holidays?
With the weather as it is at the moment I would like to go anywhere hot and sunny, preferably an island

What is your idea of heaven?
Waking up every day, happy in your own skin. To wake up excited and be doing something that is a pleasure

What is your idea of hell?
To be materialistic and just do things for money. To put up with a well paid job at the expense of your happiness and a feeling that you have to keep up with the Jones’s.

Are there any famous people you would invite around for dinner?
I think that I would invite people from community groups instead of any celebrities. People who work for the benefit of the community have great stories to tell.

What are your main strengths?
I like to think that I am good with people and before you ask me what my weakness is, it’s paperwork!



No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails