Thursday 13 December 2007

ME AND MY MOTOR-LINDA




This week Linda from the Inish Times office recalls her early experiences driving in Southern Africa.

What was your first car?
A horrible old black Hillman Minx, circa early 1950s. I bought it in about 1960 at the suggestion of my brother-in-law who was a motor mechanic. The gear change was on the steering column, it was a heavy car to drive and had cream leather upholstery!

How old were you?
I was 16 and living in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe). The permitted age to apply for a driving licence was 16 and in those days, in addition to using indicators, one had to also use hand signals which involved lots of arm-flapping out of the driver’s window.

How did you get it?
The car cost £40 sterling (which was the currency in Rhodesia then) and at the time I earned £45 a month. I saved up for several months and bought the car for cash.

Was it reliable?
Sort-of, but it guzzled oil and the brakes kept binding. One Sunday afternoon it coughed and died when I was driving on a dirt road many miles out of Salisbury (now Harare). I had to be towed home and I immediately bought a VW Beetle that took me all over Zimbabwe and South Africa, never let me down and I loved my VW with a passion.

How did you feel about being a car owner?
I was living at home with my mother who could not drive, so having a car made a huge difference to both of us, plus gave me great independence.

What is your fondest memory of the VW?
The reliability of my VW, which gave me the opportunity to see so much of Southern Africa including the Victoria Falls, Kariba Dam, Hwangi Game Reserve, Tshipise Hot Springs, Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town.

Did you give it a name?
No, but my two sons have subsequently named other cars I’ve owned, one was a VW Passat Station-Wagon that they named “The Sherman Tank” and I currently drive a Fiat Seicento that they’ve named “Mum’s Shopping Trolley”.

What happened to it?
I was so fond of my VW Beetle that I could not bear to part with it, so gave it to my mother-in-law who drove it for many more years without any trouble at all.

What was the best car you ever owned and why?
When my husband became successful in business he owned the latest Mercedes Benz and insisted that for ‘image’ purposes I should drive one too. Mine was a metallic silver Merc (old shape), a full-house with all the buttons and bows. Other than appreciating the air-conditioning, I actually did not enjoy the car very much.

What was the worst car you ever owned and why?
That would definitely have to be my first car.

What are you driving now?
An 1100 Fiat Seicento 2 door. It’s a red 2001 model that I bought quite recently from Joseph Doherty Ltd of Moville.

What is your dream car?
I don’t have a dream car but having driven for over forty years, I’d be lost without a car. A huge necessity for me is to know that my car will always start and be reliable. The little car I drive now is giving me great delight.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails