Monday 5 November 2007

iCARE CHARITY FOOTBALL MATCH

I went to the icare charity football match last week. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I was to take part, so for a week and a half before the big day I decided to get myself into shape and do a bit of physical exercise. It has been twenty-five years since I last kicked a ball about (I was rubbish even then). It’s been a long time too since I ran any distance further than getting to the car from the front door when it it’s raining, which is a distance of about three yards.

So my keep fit regime started with a gentle jog around the rabbit hutch and up and down the driveway a few times. I also got hold of a bright yellow plastic football to kick against the house (which Max the dog has now eaten). Things went well for the first week and I was feeling the benefits. Because of this I decided to up the training and jog up and down the hallway when the weather was bad. This was quite a noisy exercise as I have a tendency to leave my steel toecap boots on for most of the day. Two days before the match and disaster struck. I could hardly move my ankles, they had swollen up and my kneecaps were locked in position. A friend of mine said that I didn’t use the proper footwear, and this is what happens, I thought steel toecaps should have given me great support but I was wrong, they aren’t very good for jogging in apparently.


Still not to be put off I decided that seeing as it was a friendly charity match I would go down to the indoor pitch and hobble about the best I could, wearing a pair of Julies old training shoes. When I got to the match it had only just started and there was a lot of action on the pitch. Buncrana were playing Newtown and I can tell you there was nothing friendly going off in the game that I could see, things were very, very competitive! Watching the match for two minutes I witnessed two red cards and one poor player get squashed into the wall as he went for the ball.

Feeling that I could be of no use to the team, even in goal, I hobbled out of the building as quickly as I could and headed for home. I’ll be ready for next years match.

In case you didn’t hear the result, Buncrana lost after penalties and a sudden death shoot out.



Check out the iCARE website: http://www.icare.ie/contact.htm



No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails