Saturday 12 May 2007

TOMATO TROUBLE

Ian
I have grown some tomato plants in my conservatory this year. I have noticed just recently that the leaves seem to have whitefly. What can I use to control this problem? I do not want to spray with chemicals as I have a lot of pets in the house. Thanks HS Letterkenny.

Reply
Organic gardeners have used insecticidal soap for years to control pests. Recent tests in Florida University have proved that common old garden washing up liquids are even more effective for controlling whitefly, especially on tomato leaves. High concentrations are not necessary, they can even damage the plant so make a dilution up of 400 parts water to 1 part washing up liquid. Apply this to the leaves once a fortnight and you will not have any more trouble with the pests. The tomatoes will not be affected.


Horticultural.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails