Monday 7 May 2007

FREECYCLE

Photo: That's not really what I meant by Freecycle.



(Click on the title for a link to the Freecycle site)


I joined Freecycle a couple of weeks ago. This is a free website membership to a worldwide idea, which started in 2003 to reduce waste pollution. The idea is that you join a group locally and then either give things away or get things for nothing. It’s a bit like a global LETS system. It is entirely non-profit making and relies on the communication between individuals and groups. I was a bit disappointed to find that there wasn’t a group in Inishowen, or Donegal for that matter, but there’s time yet. The areas that have set up networks In Ireland are: Cavan and Monaghan with 18 members, Cork with 50 members, Kerry with 22 members, Galway-71, Leinster area-1835, Mayo-17, Waterford-45 and Ennis with 350 members. Its not that many I know but the numbers are growing all of the time. I joined the Leinster area group because that’s where the most people were and where I though the most action would be. When I registered I opted for all e-mail transactions to be sent to me. So far I am receiving about forty messages a day, which is a bit much but I can alter this to just one message. I have found that the wants are a bit more substantial than the offers items. Examples of offers are old wardrobes, plant pots and fibre optic lights. The wants range from laptop computers to office space and boats. There will be a balance somewhere I suppose. If you are a good organiser, why don’t you set up an Inishowen site? You would have to work for nothing of course but you might keep some rubbish out of the landfills for a few years. Check out the site on freecycle.org. for more information.

Environmental.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the first sentence is funny

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails