Tuesday 20 March 2007

CREOSOTE FENCE

Photo: Some trellis structures are fancier than others!

Ian
My neighbour has replaced a fence with one treated with creosote. I know this is not good for my plants and climbers that I used to grow on the fence. What effects is this likely to have, what can I do to minimize any ill effects and how long should I leave it before I tie my plants back to the fence? Thanks DL Buncrana


Reply
Heavy oil-based timber preservatives were among the earliest to be introduced onto the market. They were widely used and work by poisoning the timber so that fungi can’t take hold. There is no denying that they are effective at prolonging the life of wood used outside. However, the big disadvantage with them is that the heavy oil preservative is toxic to plants. If splashed on foliage during application, it causes dieback and if soft-stemmed and foliage plants are grown up a recently treated timber, it may also cause significant dieback. There are plenty of plant-safe, odourless alternatives on the market that can be used if you are planting nearby. Unfortunately, once a timber has been treated with heavy oil preservatives, it is not possible to retreat with an alternative until the oil has broken down, which may take several years. Therefore I would suggest that you minimise contact between your plants and the fence. Why not invest in a trellis type structure and fasten this to the fence.


Horticultural.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails