Tuesday 20 March 2007

COCONUT PALM

I was a bit optimistic with the weather this year. My lad had grown a very sturdy cheese plant on the stairs and it was just about reaching six feet tall. In my naivety, I thought that it would like a stint outside to get some fresh air and sunshine. Things didn’t quite go to plan though as the plant just withered away overnight. I thought that the weather would be warm enough but it seemed as though the wind got the better of it. In hindsight I should have brought it in when the light went and put it outside again in the morning. To compensate for my error of judgement I gave my lad the choice of any plant in the garden centre. He came away with a very attractive plant called a Cocos nucifera or coconut palm as it is more commonly known. This plant is very fast growing and is already about five feet tall. This plant is best grown indoors as it is even more delicate than the cheese plant. If you have one of these plants then look out for a few common problems. Spider mite can be a nuisance. This can cause the appearance of scorching, so look on the undersides of the leaves with a magnifying glass to check. If they are the culprits, use a relevant organic pesticide to treat it. The other problems lie in providing constantly warm, humid temperatures. It might do well in a large bathroom that has a hot press to keep it warm in winter. I do not know anyone who has kept this type of plant for more that a year or two so it might be another trip to the garden centre to get another plant to replace it when it shrivels up!

Horticultural.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails