Sunday 16 November 2008

5 MINUTES WITH - PADRAIG DOHERTY


Pàdraig is in his transition year at the Carndonagh Community School. He was recently voted onto the Donegal Youth Council to represent young people in the Inishowen electoral area and throughout Donegal. He is one of 36 teenagers who will be lobbying for more facilities for young people around the county and will be working closely with local councillors to implement initiatives.

Pàdraig is a keen sports person and last week was part of the winning Carndonagh team in the under 16B’s hurling county final championships….beating Buncrana 3-1 to 1-2…..


What music do you like?
Rock. Pop. Anything and everything. I tend to listen to chart music mostly.

What would you never throw away?
Hurley sticks. I would only get rid of one if it was really badly broken.

What book are you reading?
The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It’s a post-apocalyptic tale of a man and his son trying to survive by any means possible

What was your favourite childhood game?
When I was younger I used to play tag. I enjoyed allof the running around. When I got to about four years old I found Gaelic and Hurling. It’s the same sort of running around but it’s more structured and competitive.

Have you been to the cinema recently, what did you see and was it any good?
I went to see The National Treasure starring Nicholas Cage, who is a treasure hunter in hot pursuit of a mythical treasure. It was very enjoyable.

What section of the newspaper do you turn to first?
I will have a look to see if there are any good headlines and read those. Generally though it would be the sports pages to read up on hurley, gaelic, soccer and rugby. If I knew that friends were going to be in the paper, I would look them up first.

Have you done anything really daft recently?
Last week I was making a snack of beans on toast. I opened the can of beans then went to lift a heavy pan off the cooker. I was still holding the lid of the can in my hand when I squeezed hold of the pan handle. I needed three stitches. Luckily NowDoc were in Carndonagh or I would have had to travel into Derry or Letterkenny to be treated.

Have you a favourite TV programme?
I tend to watch factual programmes when I have the time. There are a couple of good talk shows on that I would watch. The Panel and the Blame Game are both entertaining.

How do you relax?
I play the computer. I spent a lot of time on the Football Manager game. I managed to get my team to the top of the division.

What job do you fancy doing when you leave the education system?
Keeping in the education system……I fancy being a primary school teacher.

Where would you like to go for your holidays?
Australia has always appealed to me. The laid back lifestyle is similar to ours and you get the benefit of the good weather

Your idea of heaven?
If Donegal won the All Ireland final.

Your idea of hell?
Recently that would have been last week when Carndonagh lost the Junior Ulster quarterfinal. Malin stayed up.

What would you spend a lottery win on?
I would buy an English football team. The team I bought would depend on the amount of money I won. It would make more sense to buy a club that is low down in the divisions and build it up to be a super team.

What famous people would you invite around for dinner and why?
Roy Keane the ex Man. United player and now Sunderland manager, Sean Cavanagh, the Tyrone footballer, Hector Ó hEochagáin from Hanging with Hector and the comedian Des Bishop for a bit of craic.

Favourite animal?
Dogs. We had a lassie type dog for years and now we have Darky, the scruffy 11-year-old collie.

What couldn’t you live without?
Sport. I have training most nights of the week.

Have you been anywhere interesting recently?
The family and I went to Bodega near San Francisco in the United States recently. It was for a family wedding. The scenery was a bit like Malin Head. We all took over a holiday village very close to the telephone box where Alfred Hitchcock filmed a woman getting attacked in a scene in the film The Birds.

Biggest fear?
Looking up at heights. I can climb up anything without any fear and look down but there’s just something very strange about looking up at tall buildings.

Biggest thrill?
I can only think of rollercoasters

The world’s most irritating invention?
It’s not a can opener although it comes close. It would have to be ticking clocks.

What is your idea of a good night in?
Enjoying something interesting on the telly. When people recommend a film to me I will always give it ten minutes to see if it’s any good.

Do you have a hobby?
Sport, sport and sport.

Biggest disappointment?
Two years ago I was in the Division 2 under 14’s Inishowen Gaelic team and we were in 5 finals. We won four – The championship and county championships, but were beaten by Moville on the last one, depriving us of a grand slam.

Which period in history would you most like to have lived through?
From the year 0 (2008 years ago) to see what really happened.

World’s most useful invention?
The Internet with broadband. I use it a lot for school projects and surfing.

What do you have for breakfast?
Plain porridge.

What are the best pieces of advice you have been given?
There are a few that family members have told me. Don’t look at the negatives. You can do as many courses and exams as you like, but knowledge will only get you so far, you have to be willing to take a few risks. The school journal quoted a good one last year “The biggest risk in life is not to take a risk at all.”

Personal philosophy?
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails