Wednesday 7 November 2007

A STROLL IN THE GARDEN - THERESA CROSSAN






Theresa Crossan from Buncrana is a very keen gardener. This year her hard work has been rewarded. Theresa received first prize for the Best Garden in the Swilly Gardening Club competition. Because of careful planning and wind protection the garden looks fantastic at any time of year.


How long have you been working on the garden?
I have been in this house for twenty-seven years and tending to the garden for twenty-five years. I started it from scratch. It has been a gradual process with a lot of changes.

Why is the rear garden in two sections?
I tried to grow tender plants but they just got totally ruined with the wind from the Swilly. The bottom end of the garden is now a windbreak, divided by a large Escallonia hedge. I have planted olearia and senicio as well, as these plants are ideal for the coast. These give us the protection we need to grow tender annuals.


What is your favourite plant?
I really like the hedging plants. We tried leylandii when the garden was young but all but two of them died in the wind. My favourite hedging that we have is the griselinia littoralis with its apple coloured leaves.

What is your favourite feature in the garden?
The water feature is very relaxing. I enjoy its soothing properties.

What is your favourite season and why?
I am at my most enthusiastic in the time just coming into summer.

What work gives you the most pleasure in the garden?
It certainly isn’t the weeding! I have put plants very close together in my garden to stop the weeds coming up. My greatest pleasure is planting up the summer bedding.

Any irritations in the garden. How do you cope?
My children used to be the biggest problem with their footballs. The only problem I have now is our dog; he has a tendency to make a nest in the foliage.

What is your best gardening tool?
The hoe to keep the small weeds down, before they become a nuisance.

Top Tip for spring?
Use the hoe regularly especially early on in the season.
.
Any plans for the future?
I add bits every year and next year I would like white climbing roses to grow over the trellis feature.




Horticultural.






No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails