Wednesday 18 July 2007

A STROLL IN THE GARDEN - MARY DIXON











This week we are in the garden of Mary Dixon from Buncrana. Mary’s garden is set in one of the most beautiful areas of the peninsula with views of the Swilly and backing on to Swan Park.

How long have you been working on the garden?
I have been working on the garden for over fifty years. When my husband and I moved into the three hundred year old farmhouse the garden was a wildernesses. The whole area was full of brambles. I remember I started from one end and slowly worked my way across the ground digging it over with a spade.

What is your favourite plant?
I love hydrangeas. I have a selection of them in the garden such as the mophead ones and also a climbing one that covers a rock at the front of the drive. Of all the colours I like the red and white ones the best.

What is your favourite feature in the garden?
There is a place in the garden where I always sit so my family had a pergola and seat built especially for me. That has to be the best spot in the garden!

What is your favourite season and why?
The summer, because I enjoy the colourful flowers in the garden.

What work gives you the most pleasure in the garden?
Seed sowing in late spring. I particularly enjoy staring the sweet peas and godetia.

Any irritations, how do you cope?
Mare’s tail (horsetail) it is very hard to get rid of. I tend to apply a contact weed killer to the fresh shoots that come up. There are three on the market, Verdon, Hedlan spray and Tetral. All of them have to be used with extreme caution and put directly onto the leaves.

What is your best gardening tool?
The spade. It has served me well

Top gardening tip?
Get help if you can’t cope!

Any plans for the future?
I would like to set up more low energy lights around certain areas of the garden to give it more depth in the evenings

Horticultural.




No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails