Monday 16 April 2007

INTERCROPPING

Photo: Calendula can be used well when intercropping.



I went to get some petrol for the car the other day and took advantage of a sales promotion. If I bought twenty euro of fuel I could buy a solar garden light for the paltry sum of €4.99. This appeared to be a bargain but it looks as though I have been lumbered with a lump of useless plastic to clutter up my garden. The weather last week enabled me to charge the solar collectors on the top of the device with at least twelve hours of constant sunshine every day for three days. How was I repaid? The bulb inside the light glowed so dimly that you had to look at it twice before you could see it was on. (Think of a pilot light in a cooker and you’re getting close). If I needed the light to see some steps or the path edge I reckon I would need about four hundred of them to light my way. Not much of a bargain. I suppose its all a case of the old saying, “ You get what you pay for” There are some good solar lights on the market but I think that I will stick to using the outdoor light to get the coal in!

INTERCROPPING


Question.
A friend of mine said that I should use the limited space in my vegetable garden more efficiently and intercrop, what on earth do they mean? Thanks D.M. Ballyliffen

Reply.
Intercropping is something that I hope I will be doing this year in my garden too. The process involves growing two or more crops in close proximity to save space. The most common systems were used in old cottage gardens where everything was planted alongside one another. We can also alternate plants of two or more different plants in the same row, planting a low growing crop beneath a tall one. In most cases one crop is faster growing so it will be harvested first, leaving the other crop more space to grow to maturity. Plants with upright compact growth are preferable to sprawling ones. Keep the soil fertile and weed free for the best results. If you choose carefully and incorporate flowers such as calendula and nasturtium your vegetables will be pest and disease free without the need for chemical control.

Suggestions for planting

Here are some suggestions for planting. The vegetable patch can always give you a crop regardless of what time of year it is.

Interplant rows of leeks, planted in 20cm (8in) deep holes to keep them upright, with lettuce or hardy winter salads like corn salad or land cress. If you allow about 30cm (12in) between rows for the leeks, the other plants will flourish.

Interplant early summer cabbages with a reddish leaved summer lettuce. This will also make for a very pretty pattern in the plot.

Under plant sweetcorn, which lets plenty of light through the leaves, with dwarf French beans. Parsley and any other salad plant can be planted in there too.

Do not be afraid to experiment, it will be extra knowledge for next year!

Horticultural.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails