Tuesday 3 April 2007

FLOCKING MAGPIES



Dear Ian
I have a problem in my garden and I wondered if you could help. My dog lives outside in the yard most of the time and that is where he is fed. I have problems with a flock of magpies coming in from nearby trees and eating the food right in front of my pet. I have tried putting the food inside the kennel but the birds are fearless and just hop inside and help themselves, much to the annoyance of the dog, who is chased off. Is there anything I can do to get rid of these pests? Regards B.C. by e-mail

Reply
I don’t really want to tell you this but chances are it isn’t just the magpies that will be enjoying a meal from the dogs bowl. Chances are that the trees will also house bats. These will happily tuck into your dogs dinner in the evenings when you are watching the telly. Foxes will also be around at night and then there are the slugs that will munch away and leave a lovely trail of slime around the bowl. Worst of all though will be the rats. You will probably see that sometimes your dog will leave his dinner and this will be due to the fact that a rat will have been walking all over the food. Dogs aren’t daft; they won’t touch food that a rat had had a go at. I would recommend that you feed your dog twice a day inside the house or garage. When he has finished eating, pick up the bowl and wash it for the next time. If your pet looks hungry throw him a biscuit to eat. When the magpies see there is no food available they will go elsewhere for their dinner.



Horticultural.


No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails