Friday 30 March 2007

VACUUM


I spent a day of my life sorting out my vacuum cleaner this week. Our old faithful Vax wet and dry machine was turning out to be a two-person affair. Julie pushed the cleaning head along the carpet whilst I stood behind holding the cable in just the right position so the electricity could flow.


In my wisdom I thought it time to venture out to buy a new model. After traipsing the shops for an eternity I settled on a large supermarket brand 1600-watt bagless cyclonic model that was being offered for sale at a reasonable price. I didn’t make the decision based purely on the price though. I checked that there was little to drop off it and that the cable retracted like the box said it would, all of the usual things we do when making a decision to part with our money. 1600 watts sounded decent as well so I expected it to suck up the carpets when it was switched on after I got it home. Suck up the carpets it did, all for about ten seconds.

After that the bagless wonder just clogged up as the tiniest bit of fluff was blocking up the mountain of filters it had to get past. After running it for two minutes the suction had all but gone and the overheating light came on. Why put an overheating light on anyway? All it does is remind you that the design is rubbish and you wasted your money buying the thing. I decided to do the right thing and pulled out the old faithful Vax cutting off six feet of cable. I have spent 2 euro on a new filter and it’s as good as new. It won’t stop the landfills from filling up though because the new vacuum is destined to go there when I take it back to the shop, no one in their right mind would want to keep it, it’s rubbish.

If the Vax packs up for good I will do a bit of market research first. The internet is a great resource for this. I checked for people’s comments about the 1600 bagless cyclonic wonder and surprise surprise most of the comments were similar to mine. I also found that the space aged design of Dyson isn’t going down too well either with a lot of people complaining that they are too fiddly and expensive to run. Top of the list for customer satisfaction though is the Henry vacuum. These are widely used in business premises and customers love the smiley face on the front. I think I will put one on the front of my revamped Vax. Now where did I leave my marker pen?
Household,Environmental.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails