Sunday 7 December 2008

5 MINUTES WITH - MARK CAREY


Mark Carey is just back managing Flanagans Furniture shop in Buncrana. Mark, originally from Malin Head, started working for Flanagans in 1994 and is happy to be back to see long-standing customers and meet new ones. He had taken time out to work in Franklins but feels furniture is a more interesting business because customers can create an item to their own taste. Mark feels that the challenge of the economic climate is to make sure that Flanagans offer the best service and the best product while not being beaten on price. Mark is married to Susan Porter from Dumfries and they have two sons, Jordan (9) and Lee (7).

What music do you like?
I like most stuff. Heavy rock like Rainbow and Lynyrd Skynyrd. I remember going into Derry up to HMV to buy Rainbow’s Greatest Hits. The shop-keeper asked who sang it. Grrr.

What would you never throw away?
I would throw anything away!

What book are you reading?
Funnily I’m reading 2 Ku Buk, which is the Scouting Handbook for Ireland. I am a leader with the 11th Donegal Buncrana Scouts, which started this year.

What was your favourite childhood game?
It had to be football.

Have you been to the cinema recently, what did you see and was it any good?
The last film I went to was Igor and the next will be Madagascar 2. It tends to be kid flicks with the boys and it’s a good excuse to go and see them because they are usually enjoyable.

What section of the newspaper do you turn to first?
I’m not much of a newspaper reader – It tends to be a glance at the front page and then I turn to the back.

What is your idea of a good night out?
Decent food, decent wine, decent company.
.
Have you a favourite TV programme?
Match of the Day and I enjoy the CSI’s too.

How do you relax?
With work and family I don’t have much time for relaxing.

What job did you want to do when you were a child?
I wanted to be a fireman.

Where would you like to go for your holidays?
I’d love to take the family to Disneyland –I’m still a kid at heart…

Your idea of heaven?
That would be myself, Susan and the boys all curled up on the couch watching a good DVD.

Your idea of hell?
Driving in Dublin. Everything is so badly signposted.

What would you spend a lottery win on?
I would get the usual things, a new car and a classic car. We’d have our trip to Disneyland, I’d get all the jobs done around the house and get an Astroturf pitch for the boys.

What couldn’t you live without?
Susan and the boys. Family comes first.

Biggest fear?
Anything happening to the family.

Biggest thrill?
I’m usually pretty even in my moods I’m easily contented, but I guess it would have to be getting married to Susan and the boys being born.

The world’s most irritating invention?
Mobile phones are pretty annoying, but I think Bluetooth must be the worst. People walking about, talking away on the phone. Sometimes I go up to talk to them and they are just chatting away to some-one else.

Do you have a hobby?
I coach under-10 football and I am a scout leader. I also enjoy gardening.

Which period in history would you most like to have lived through?
I’m quite happy in this period –I think I lived through the best times in the 80’s and 90’s. I don’t want to live in history –just enjoy the present.

World’s most useful invention?
All inventions have their uses but I think health inventions like kidney dialysis machines are useful- anything that eases the suffering of people.

What did you have for breakfast?
Coffee and a nutrigrain bar

What is the best piece of advice you have been given?
Two pieces of advice really. 1) Keep trying and 2) Do your best.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails