Sunday 12 October 2008

5 MINUTES WITH - GEVEVIEVE MCGUINNESS



Genevieve McGuinness lives in Buncrana and is a full time mum to her three children, Naoise, Caolan and Tegan. Over the last few years, she finished her degree in textiles and exhibits her work with the Inishowen Artists Project. She is one of many volunteers working in the new art shop located next to Sean Fureys in Buncrana. It is showcasing a varied range of artists’ work from across the peninsula. The artists are keen to acknowledge Sarah McLaughlin, daughter of Liam (The Poet) McLaughlin from the town who is kindly letting the shop out rent free. Genevieve’s work includes printing, dying and stitching but she also loves to create beautiful wedding invitation cards. She can be contacted on 086 0637967


What music do you like?
I enjoy easy listening music, such as Snow Patrol. It fits in better with the hectic lifestyle of looking after my three children. After saying that I tend to listen to a lot of children’s story tapes. We have one about a pirate that we have listened to quite a few times.

What would you never throw away?
I am a bit of a hoarder and tend to hang on to everything; you never know when you might want something for an art project. The day I throw it out is the day I want it. Seamus reckons I ought to throw things out after three months if they are not used. I could never do that.

What book are you reading?
Dan Brown – Angels and Demons. The story is the prequel to the DaVinci code and takes place about a year before the events in his best selling novel. It’s an exciting read.

What was your favourite childhood game?

We called it 2 Ball. I am not sure if there is another name for it. We would throw a tennis ball against a wall and sing songs as we caught it. I tried to teach my girls how to do it but they weren’t interested. It probably wasn’t exciting enough for them.

Have you been to the cinema recently, what did you see and was it any good?
It is matinee films for me. The children and I went to see Wall-E. It’s a great film and good fun for all of the family.

What section of the newspaper do you turn to first?
I flick and read whatever catches my eye. I tend to avoid the sports pages though…

What is your idea of a good night out?
Having great craic with friends and family, and a bottle of wine or two.

Most embarrassing moment of your life?
I am always embarrassing myself. I can be very scatty and don’t stop talking; my brothers are always taking the hand out of me.

Have you a favourite TV programme?
I enjoy Prison Break and Home and Away. There is always an over the top dramatic scene to look at. In the daytime I might catch a glimpse of Dr Phil giving advice to members of the public, I might catch the odd bit of wisdom over the noise of the kids.

How do you relax?
God- how do you relax? I am always on the go with the three children.

What job did you want to do when you were a child?

I always wanted to be a fashion designer. My mammy still has a report card from school. The report says that I want to be a fashion designer and live in a little house in the country…I am happy in textile design and being an artist, but would still love the house in the country…

Where would you like to go for your holidays?
I would like to go to places with beautiful imagery, so there are lots of places. Venice or India would be nice.

Your idea of heaven?
Spending time with my children. I love it when we are being silly and doing lots of giggling.

What famous people would you invite around for dinner and why?

The fashion designer Vivienne Westwood. She was largely responsible for bringing modern punk and new wave fashions to the masses. Dr Phil could pop in to tell us where we are going wrong.

Favourite animal?

I love giraffes…. they are so graceful.

What couldn’t you live without?
I would be lost without two things - my art materials, paper, dyes, waxes, crayons and pencils and of course my children.

Biggest fear?
It’s quite irrational really but I am terrified of wasps. I was stung on the neck as a child and remember the lump that grew afterwards. I have been known to run away screaming when one comes near me, leaving young children to tend for themselves!

Biggest thrill?
I love roller coasters; it’s great adrenalin rush. I quite fancy bungee jumping.

The world’s most irritating invention?
The doorbell. It always rings at the most inconvenient time.

What is your idea of a good night in?
Me, Seamus and something crappy on TV.

Do you have a hobby?
Art is my hobby, I find it really relaxing.

World’s most useful invention?
Nappies. It’s not very environmentally sound, but I don’t fancy washing and hanging up terry towels, especially in winter.

What do you have for breakfast?
Yoghurt, fruit and museli washed down with some fruit juice. I do like an egg at the weekend, usually scrambled.

What is the best piece of advice you have been given?
The best bit of advice I had was “Give up the fags”. I am not into pessimism so I don’t bother listening to negative advice.

Personal philosophy?
Don’t look back – look forward.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails