Sunday 15 April 2007

HAIR LOSS




Ian
Have you any advise about how I can stop my husbands hair from falling out, he is beginning to resemble a beach ball. Thanks, Desperate Housewife by e-mail..

Reply
I think you are asking the wrong person! I had a thick mane when I was younger but like most men it thinned out drastically, so I shave off what’s left. My family has a history of baldness though. My great grandfather got a shiny top at the age of 21. His remedy was to retire to Switzerland in the hope that the fresh air would re-kindle the follicles. Alas it didn’t but he did enjoy fifty years of breeding greyhounds in his extensive leisure time, wearing a flat cap I might add. It is said that diet is a contributory factor in hair loss. A western diet rich in fat from red meat has been suggested to promote pattern baldness A wholesome diet, rich in silica, calcium and iron, will help reduce or prevent hair loss. Green, leafy vegetables, especially sea vegetables, are good mineral sources. Raw oats provide silica. Dried fruits are rich sources of iron. The balding process can be slowed down by taking a low-fat diet. Some scientists postulate that the male pattern baldness is tied to increased testosterone levels during puberty. A high-fat, meat-based diet raises testosterone levels, and that may adversely affect hair follicles. Anemia is one of the most frequent causes of hair loss. Get hubby to eat plenty of iron-rich foods, whole grain cereals, dark green leafy vegetables, eggs and dates might help. The only alternatives other than this would be to buy a flat cap for the shiny scalp or get a polishing cloth. Switzerland is nice this time of year as well, a ticket for one maybe!


Household.

No comments:

Other stories

Related Posts with Thumbnails